In this article, we will give you a few good reasons to stop eating Reese’s peanut butter. We see the tiny little cups everywhere, and it’s just impossible to ignore them.

However, you better be looking for your next favorite snack, because Reese’s cups are the last thing you need to put in your mouth.

Background information

The tiny butter cups were first presented to the world in 1928 by Mr. Reese. The farmer was also a shipping foreman for Milton S. Hershey.

He invented the sweet snack, and this made him quit his dairy farming business. This created an excellent soil for his candy company that was first located in his basement.

We can see the tiny cups in many shapes, sizes, and varieties. Yes, we all love chocolate and peanut butter, but would you ingest TBHQ?

The main ingredients of Reese’s butter cups include: Milk chocolate, (milk, chocolate, sugar, cocoa butter, chocolate, no fat milk, milk fat, lactose, soy lecithin, PGPR), peanuts, sugar dextrose, salt, TBHQ and citric acid.

PGPR (polyglycerol pilyricinleate)

Reese’s butter cupcakes contain this notorious ingredient which has substituted cocoa butter so as to reduce manufacturing costs.

PGPR is made from castor beans, which decrease the thickness of chocolate. Moreover, studies show that this substance can lead to gastrointestinal issues as well as allergies in children.

Soy lecithin

If you consider the fact that 93% of soy is GMO, nothing more need to be said. For one thing, soy lecithin has been linked to breast cancer, fertility and reproduction issues, as well as behavioral and cerebral abnormalities.

TBHQ (tertiary butylhydroquinone)

TBHQ is a chemical compound which is a form of butane used to preserve processed foods. It’s toxic and can trigger nausea, vomiting, ringing in the ear, delirium, and collapse.

What’s more, lab studies have revealed that it causes stomach cancer in rats, fragmented DNA as well as lung and umbilical cell impairment. Anxiety, restlessness and intensified ADHD symptoms are the common side effects in children.

Make your homemade peanut butter cups

There’s no debating the delicious taste of Reese’s peanut butter cups.

But do you really want to risk the potential health effects by eating them, or feeding them to your children?

If peanut butter cups happen to be one of your favorite treats, there are safer ways eat them without putting your health at risk!

Look for organic peanut butter cups at health food stores, or make your own! Here’s how:


  • 12 muffin tin liners
  • 12 oz organic dark chocolate
  • 1 cup organic peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup raw, organic honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt


  • Trim the muffin cups to make them shallow.
  • Melt the dark chocolate over steam for 1-2 minutes, but don’t overcook it.
  • Pour the melted chocolate into your muffin cups. Use a teaspoon to do this. Freeze.
  • Combine your peanut butter, honey, and salt in a separate bowl.
  • Heat the resulting mixture in a small saucepan. You don’t need high heat for this one.
  • Pour the peanut butter mixture into your now frozen cups, but make sure you leave a tiny bit of space at the top for another chocolate layer.
  • Put the cups in your fridge for 10 minutes, then flatten the butter. Put the cups in your fridge for another hour.
  • By now your chocolate has become hard again, so you need to rewarm it. Add another layer over your cups. Put the cups back in your fridge.
  • This recipe is enough for 12 cupcakes.

Watch this video also: