The Frankincense essential oil truly deserves being called the King of Oils.
For many years, frankincense oil has been used for therapeutic, religious and pharmaceutical purposes. Research shows that it offers many benefits like relieving pain, fighting inflammation, reducing stress, and fighting cancer.
There are various ways to use this oil, you can either inhale it or absorb it through the skin. It can also be ingested but only in small amounts (2 drops, 2-3 times daily is more than enough) because it can be toxic if you consume large quantities. And when buying it, make sure you don’t confuse it with ‘fragrance oil’ – it won’t give you the health benefits listed below.
Here are the health benefits you’ll get when you use frankincense oil regularly.
1. Remedy for cuts, scrapes, wounds and burns: If you apply a layer of Lavender oil first and then Frankincense on top you will reduce the appearance of scrapes, wounds or burns. If combined, Lavender and Frankincense provide excellent results in the healing process.
2. Neurological support: Frankincense oil does a great job calming your nerves. It can give you feelings of relaxation, peace, and calmness. It advisable to use this oil if you experience stress, anxiety or depression.
3. Boost the immune system: Research shows that frankincense oil strengthens the immune system by destroying viruses and bad bacteria. It can kill germs in the mouth and on the skin. In fact, this oil was traditionally used to treat oral problems like toothaches, cavities, bad breath and so on.
4. Hormones and memory: By using Frankincense essential oil you can prevent hormonal imbalance as well as improve your memory.
5. Improves skin appearance and health: Frankincense can actually reduce wrinkles by tightening the skin. Research also shows that this oil can reduce acne, scars, and stretch marks. Lastly, it will clean the skin by killing germs.
6. Head tension: Frankincense can be used to relieve conditions where pain and tension are present.
7. Congestion: In a sink or bowl with hot water put up to six drops and bend over it with a towel draped over you head t inhale the steam. Breathe for five minutes, adding some more hot water. The water should not boil in order to protect yourself from scalding.
8. Relieve itching: A single drop applied to the affected area will bring immediate relief.
9. Relieves joint pain and arthritis: Frankincense fights inflammation which consequently reduces aches, joint pain, and muscle aches. If you have pain in your hips or lower back, apply this oil on those spots.
10. Remove moles, skin tags, and warts: Apply a single drop 3 or 4 times a day until gone.
11. Improves digestion: This herbal oil can greatly improve your digestive health. It can get rid of cramps, bloating, slow movement of bowel, and so on.
12. Enhance vision: Put 1-2 drops of Frankincense in your hand and then rub your index finger in the oil and rub it onto each of your temples. It can provide greater clarity to your vision and bring everything into greater focus.
13. Oral health: Useful as a preventative measure against oral health problems such as bad breath, toothaches, cavities, canker sores, and other infections. Try mixing with baking soda and coconut oil to make your own toothpaste.
14. Helps fight cancer: A study conducted in 2002 found that a compound in frankincense oil kills cancer cells which have become resistant to chemotherapy. This compound can kill cancer cells in the brain, colon, lungs, prostate, pancreas and breast.
15. Improves sleep: Studies show that the quality of our sleep affects our weight, mood, stress levels and so on. Well, inhaling frankincense oil before you sleep will help you sleep deeply.